Wednesday, January 23, 2008
E-Zine Vs. Blog
I went to the site CNN.com and read the article "Actor Heath Ledger dies at 28" for the e-zine. I then went to http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com and read the blog called The Death of Heath Ledger by Sewell Chan.
Mostly everyone knows by now because of our infamous media that Heath ledger was found dead on Tuesday. He was only 28 years old. He was found in his bed next to some bottles that contained sleeping pills and anti anxiety pills. His death is believed to have been caused by an overdose but it hasn’t been said for sure yet. It has been declared as an accidental death. Who really knows what was really found with him and how exaggerated the story was made by the media. In my political science class we were talking about Heath Ledgers death this morning and someone said there were rumors that he was found naked curled up with pills next to him, another rumor was that he was at Ashley Olsen's house. The media will seriously take any little rumor or story and run with it and turn it into whatever story they want no matter how damaging it could be to someone's reputation or name. The autopsy is still being taken place on Heath Ledgers body so hopefully within a few days we will know for sure the real cause of his death and get the real facts instead of all these rumors but who knows what fact from fiction is in our media today.
Both the e-zine and the blog were very professional. They both described basically the same thing and both gave the same facts which I'm very surprised. Most blogs that I come across are a lot more opinionated and lean more towards someone's ideas or beliefs then it does towards the real facts. It was very easy to find both of them. I just searched my topic in Google and it gave me news articles and it gave me blogs to look it. I would say the article from CNN was more credible just because I know it's an actual journalist writing the article but both the blog and the e-zine gave the same information. Our media today will run with almost any story if they think it will help sell papers or get more people to view their websites so it's hard to say that any news is credible today. For example, earlier today it was said on television and online in the news that Heath Ledger overdosed and was found in Ashley Olsen's apartment. The autopsy wasn’t done yet so that can't claim the cause of death yet and it was later confirmed that it was Heath Ledgers apartment. I would probably feel that an e-zine and a printed news source would have the same credibility but a blog doesn’t have the same credibility as either. It really also depends on the printed source because news weekly or the signal, or any type of newspaper would be more credible then a gossip magazine such as US Weekly or People.
The research I found supported by thesis. Blogs will never have the same credibility as a newspaper does. On a scale of 1-5 I would give it a 4. It somewhat supports my thesis.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I agree on the fact that the media will take any story and just run with it. I was listening to the news the other day when heath ledger did die. The media was saying all the pills and bottles were opened around him and pilled out. The next second I was watching the news, a police officer said those facts were not true. So this just says you can't always believe what you hear first.
Post a Comment