Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Blogging

Hey everyone. My name is Amanda Duncan. I’m taking Journalism 100 online because taking an online class is convenient for me with my busy work schedule. Also, this class is one of the requirements that I need for my AA. I’ve taken online classes a few times before and always enjoyed them. I’m really looking forward to this class and this project as well. I’ve never had my own blog before or kept any type of journal or anything so this is new for me and I’m excited to see how it works.
Blogging has definitely grown a tremendous amount in the last few years and is very popular with so many different types of people. It has become a quick way to discuss different topics with anyone around the world almost instantly. It’s a place for people to voice their opinions and basically say whatever they want to say, it just so happens that it is posted up online for everyone to read. Journalism has been around way before blogging. In fact blogging is a form of journalism. Even some journalists have created there own blogs or have communicated with people through blogging. It is a convenient way to receive information, voice your own opinion about a subject, and get responses and feedback from people almost immediately.
I disagree with the statement that blogging has significantly impacted the print journalism industry. Blogs don’t necessarily have to tell the truth. Anyone can post up anything they want on a blog. How is someone supposed to know if it is fact or fiction? They are opinions people are posting up and people are responding back with their opinions. Real journalism involves researching and finding the facts. Even with blogging people are always going to refer to journalism for the real information. Magazines and newspapers go through so many steps before being given to the public so the information is made very interesting, its been researched, and were given the facts that went through a long process before being in the hands of the reader. A blog is not so secure. Blogging I'm sure has had some impact on journalism, like I said even some journalists have turned to blogging, but we will always need print journalism and blogging wont make that big of an impact.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've always thought of journalism as writing a journal or expressing one's feelings. I consider blogs to be a link to journalism. There are many blogs, though, that tell the truth and are credible. If you think about "real journalism", which you are describing as finding facts and real research, there are many pieces of journalism that are biased but they are considered to be credible. Would this be considered as real journalism too?